SCHOOLS have been the worst hit by this week’s Arctic blast with most of them shutting at some point.
On Monday the majority of the borough’s primaries and secondaries closed and 11 were reported to be closed yesterday.
Headteachers make the final decision on whether to close schools - and schools and councils have been using websites and social networking to keep parents alerted.
But some parents have complained about the decisions coming too late for them to make alternative arrangements or simply poor communications from some schools.
Certain high schools were open only to senior years taking exams and some, like Standish High, had announced by Tuesday lunchtime that it would also be closing today. Meanwhile bin collection services were suspended on Monday as dangerous driving conditions forced council workers to stop their rounds.
However, services did resume yesterday, although authority chiefs acknowledged that there had been some difficulties in the Orrell, Winstanley and Billinge areas.
A spokesman for Wigan Council said: “Wigan Council’s waste collection service has resumed today.
“However, there may be pockets of areas that may still be difficult to access. Supervisors are currently out checking routes and we will work with colleagues from Highways to try and minimise the disruption to the service.”
Meanwhile the gritters are out in force keeping on top of further ice risks. The council spokesman said: “The council’s Highways Gritting Team will continue to monitor the weather and carry out precautionary gritting as necessary on all main routes around the borough. This will continue throughout the cold snap this week.
“Please take care on the icy roads and only make journeys if necessary. Please remember to check in on your family, friends and neighbours if they are elderly or vulnerable during this period.”